How many minutes are in a California MCLE Credit Hour? (Calculating credit hours)
California MCLE compliance credit hours are calculated based on the actual time spent in actual legal education instruction.
This includes instructor speaking time, actual time spent watching or listening to audio and video recordings, total duration spent creating activity materials for publication and the actual time spent attending a law school class or MCLE course.
To calculate attended time:
Hours are rounded up or down to the nearest quarter-hour (25 minutes) and expressed in decimal notation.
The California State Bar requires approved providers give 60 minutes credit for each hour of MCLE instruction.
This is the Formula:
Actual time spent in legal education activity ?? 60 = credit hours
It is important to understand that California attorneys will not receive California MCLE credit for break periods, lunch or any non-legal education activities.
Examples of activities that do not count as MCLE education are networking, company business meetings, sales activity, client facing activities, facility tours, product demonstrations, etc.
The following are the types of courses that can be used in this calculation of a California MCLE credit hour:
- Competence issues
- Legal ethics
- Elimination of bias
- Implicit Bias
- General legal topics that are not about practice management
More California Information
- What are the California MCLE Requirements?
- What is the California MCLE due date? How often do I need to renew my California MCLE?
- What Are the California MCLE Ethics Requirements?
- What is the "Competence Issues" requirement for California MCLE?
- California MCLE Teaching Credit
- California MCLE Speaking Credit
- What are the California MCLE Requirements for Elimination of bias, Implicit Bias and the Promotion of Bias-reducing Strategies?
- What are the California MCLE requirements and rules for newly admitted attorneys?
- How many minutes are in a California MCLE Credit Hour? (Calculating credit hours)
- What are the California MCLE Attendance Reporting Procedures?
- What are the California MCLE live Webcasting rules?
- What are the Reciprocal State Rules and Approved Jurisdictions for California MCLE?
- What are the procedures for a California MCLE Audit?
- Can you use California MCLE carry over credits?
- What are Participatory and Self-study California MCLE Credits?
- What are the California MCLE Exemptions?
- California MCLE Providers
- What are the penalties for California MCLE missed deadline or what if you need a good cause modification?
- What California MCLE compliance bundles are available from MCLEZ?